Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Bobby Boucher Syndrome"

Time just gets faster and faster the older you get. My nephew is going to kindergarten in a couple of weeks. It seems like yesterday that we were driving the wrong way down a one way street in the snow to see Noah born at Baptist Hospital downtown Nashville. It is hard to believe he will be in school this year and it also scares me to think my little Emma will be there in only two more years. As I have been thinking about this major milestone, I tried to remember my kindergarten year. I am not known for my memory, but major events seem to mark the brain no matter what age you may be. I don't remember my first day, nor my last. I don't remember any of the friends I played with or what we even played. I do remember my teachers name...Miss Higgins. I also remember one event that left me with cold legs. As most of you know, most 5 year olds still need a nap. It was standard practice for the whole class to take a daily nap. I had what I like to call, "Bobby Boucher Syndrome". If you have ever seen the movie Waterboy, you know what I am referring too. So, nap time was not my favorite due to this little issue. I would never fall to sleep, but instead lay there nice and quiet, with my eyes shut enough to where they looked close, but I could barely see through the lashes. I am not sure why, but one day I was so tired I actually feel asleep and my biggest fear came true. Yes, I did it, I tinkled, t-t'ed, urinated, went pee pee, or however you say it in your house, all over myself and the floor. I didn't know what to do, so I just laid there until all the other kids had gone outside for play time. When I was all alone, I told my teacher what I had done and she was sweet and gave me the change of clothes my mom had brought at the beginning of the year for such an event. I thought I was safe. I didn't think anyone would notice I had changed clothes, until Miss Higgins pulled the shorts and t-shirt out of the bag. In Tennessee, when we start school it is still very hot and shorts and a t-shirt are totally appropriate. However, we were in the dead of winter and my only option was to go outside wearing shorts on a cold winters day. Of course every body noticed, wouldn't you? That is the day I became a "story teller". I know God has forgiven me for that chain of lies, but still have flash backs from time to time. After all, a reputation is a hard thing to keep, so a "story" is sometimes needed, that's for dern sure!

4 comments:

Smitty said...

Hey man don't feel bad dude. I don't ever remember pissing my pants at school but I do remember having to change clothes once, so I guess I whizzed myself too. Nothing beats Gretchen Weiner in 2nd Grade though. We're all facing the front of the room listening to Mrs. Vaughn teach, when suddenly Mrs. Vaughn stops and goes, "Gretchen! Why didn't you ask to go to the bathroom?" Instantly everyone turns around to see Gretchen with her knees together and hands in between, leaking pee from her chair to a big ole puddle piss on the floor! I was so shocked at the sight I didn't know whether to laugh or get a mop.

Talk about scarring a kid by pointing it out in front of everyone though. Sounds like you had a kind-hearted teacher man. I'm pretty sure Gretchen has killed somebody by now.

Andrea said...

It may be a kindergarten-right-of-passage. I barely remember it, but I wet myself at school one day too, but not at nap time. I was out on the playground. Didn't exactly go unnoticed.

Anonymous said...

Yes, my peeing on the floor was in first grade, I think...
See, I'm a rule follower, and my teacher said we weren't allowed to get up for ANYTHING during storytime...so as I sat there on the floor with the urge to "go" (with the story apparently droning on and on)I just finally couldn't hold it anymore. Noone really said anything...everyone just started scooting away from me until it was quite obvious that I was alone in the middle of a puddle. I don't remember how the teacher handled it. I do remember I was wearing my pink corduroy overalls, so it was very noticeable when I came back in the nasty sweats that the office provided from their lost and found. (In first grade you don't have extra outfits...you're supposed to be in control by then!) Talk about mortifying...I'm blushing just remembering!

Kelli said...

I found your blog from facebook...didn't know we were in the same kindergarten class! I hope I wasn't one of the kids who teased you or brought to your attention that you had tinkled in your pants! Lord knows I don't remember hardly anything about kindergarten, including what kind of kid I was. I do remember having the same problem as you, though, in Mrs. Briley's 1st grade class, so don't feel bad!