Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two Left Feet


I don't claim to be a great athlete, but I have always been able to hold my own. However, I have had a couple of incidence that caused me do doubt my ability. The first happened in elementary school when we were on a field day at the local middle school. I was lining up for the 100 yard dash and knew I was the fastest guy on that line. When the horn blew you would have thought Carl Lewis had graced the middle school track with his presence. I was in full stride and well in front of the pack. At about the 50 yard mark I felt my body get a little ahead of my feet. I started to panic because I knew what was about to happen. I also knew that the whole school, including the middle school, was in stands watching us run. There I go, head over feet, rolling down the track. I got up in time to finish third, but boy was I embarrassed. I was reminded of this story a couple of months ago when I decided to play on the UPS basketball team. It was opening night and I wanted so bad to impress my co-workers with my mad basketball skills. Of course, being five foot eight inches and nearly 300 pounds, they were not expecting much from the round mound of rebound. I knew that I still could shoot the basketball and only needed a chance to let one fly. I finally get in the game and was trying not to rush something and make a fool out of myself. At that point the ball was stolen and I was running back down the court to try to play some defense. Here it goes again, my body got moving faster than my feet and I went down like a sack of potatoes. Unlike my childhood experience, it was not graceful at all and I slid down the hardwood court. I got up just in time to watch the guy lay the ball in the basket for an easy two points. I was so embarrassed and didn't know how I would show my face in that building again. In fact I never returned to that building and they went on to win the championship without me...another shot to my ego. That triggered a fire in me that has me on a path of a better life style. I have since lost 45 points and have run on a gym floor numerous times getting ready for my return in 2010. Next season I am going to be a man to reckon with, that's for dern sure!

2 comments:

DEBTective said...

And so, a legend is born, baby ...

Chris said...

Glad to see you are back...at basketball and blogging.

Congrats on your weight loss and good luck on your return to the lime light in 2010.