Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Blue Childhood


Do you remember getting fat? I do, 5th grade. My 10 year old baseball picture makes me look lean and fast. However, my 11 year old one looks like I spent the year preparing for the role of Humpty Dumpty in the school play. As an athlete this was a big hit to my ego. Besides not being able to run as fast, I didn't look as good in the baseball pants. The summers weren't too bad since most of the girls never came out to the fields, unless they had a brother playing and most of them were not our age. Once I started my 6th grade year, I realize what a pain being fat was going to be. It all started shopping for school jeans. I realized that I had now outgrown boy jeans, but men's jeans were just too long. The only solution Wal-mart had was "Huskey" jeans. Huskeys were for fat boys. They were still too long but not as bad as the adult version. My mom said she could hem them so they would be fine. My mom was able to hem them, but since I was so short she ended up cutting off enough material that I put them on my arms and they made full sleeves. The hem was about where the knee was supposed to be, so I walked around school with tree trunks for legs. The one advantage, was I didn't need to get nice shoes, because you could see them any way. That is the year I discovered the joys of sweat pants. That shortly brought a whole new set of problems, that's for dern sure!

5 comments:

Forrest Blogs said...

Oh dear...

Paximus said...

I never thought I'd read of "the joys of sweat pants." Are these joys things like...you can spill food and coke on them and not feel obligated to wash them? no need to stress over getting dates? one size stretches to fit all? easy on and easy off?

one thing's for dern sure - you need to write a follow-up on these sweat pant joys.

dinah lou said...

Love the blog,that's for dern sure!

Unknown said...

Consider me a fan of your blog. You crack me up, and I could watch videos of Emma all day!

Jason Pagel said...

nice. you never cease to amaze me brother.